Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Sandwich man

A sandwich man comes to the office everyday. We know he is in when he breaks the silence of the office with his clown-like announcement:

"Good morning everyone! How's your day? I know it's hard to smile on a Monday but I have my happy sandwiches for you! Anyone for my happy sandwiches?!"

Then he stands aside and waits for his customers.

He would then go to the other floors in the building after the queue for his sandwiches is clear. I've only patronised him once when I've forgotten my lunch on a rare occasion.

Today I took the lift down. The lift stopped after one level. It was the sandwich man coming into the lift. He walked in clumsily with his crates of sandwiches. He asked to press the button for the next floor since both his hands were full.

"One please", he requested.

I obliged. Then looking at his sandwiches I struck a conversation with him, "Good business today?"

"Yea, not too bad. A little left." he replied and continued "Are you the architect from upstairs?"

I said "No. I'm an engineer."

The lift opened when it reached his floor but before he stepped out he replied, "Oh cool! I'm actually an architect. I'm still looking for a job. Almost a year now."

He hurried out clumsily with his sandwiches, back out first. Before the lift started closing, I wished him luck. I was hesitating to press the "open door" button to ask if I could help him find a job in our company but decided I could probably do that tomorrow.

As I was walking to the post office, I couldn't help but think how fortunate I am to be employed in this country and able to do what I want to do. I have begun to expect things the way they are and always want them to become better, bigger and more sophisticated.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean we should live in complacency. In fact I am a firm believer that we shouldn't only aim high but aim higher. But sometimes it's easy for us to keep going ahead and become bitter about how much more we have to go, rather than stop for a while, look back and be thankful to God for how far we've already gone.

1 comment:

feifeipinky said...

u indeed are lucky!