Sunday, January 28, 2007

UK Executive National Council



I felt like I was a roti canai dough this whole week. An assignment due this Monday and a national council to attend in London, for the Malaysian UK Executive Council (UKEC). Work, lotsa work! This dough is really stretched to the max! Only a thin film coming in between breaking or holding up.


An exhausted roti canai dough complements a glass of teh-tarik!

It is an honour (so I should not complain) to be invited by the President of the UKEC to attend for a national council in London. I attended to deliver and contribute to the new mission and restructuring of the society for 2007 in my capacity as the postgraduate representative of the Cambridge University Malaysian Society (CuMas). It was a very satisfying and fulfilling mission. I also met a lot of new faces in the Malaysian fraternity.


The universities that were represented in the council were:


Aberdeen, Belfast, Birmingham, Cork, Cambridge, Cardiff, City Uni, Dundee, Edinburgh, Essex, Glasgow, Imperial College, King's College, Lancaster, Leeds, LSE, Loughborough, Manchester, Newcastle, NUI Galway, Queen Mary, Reading, Sheffield, Staffordshire, Surrey, East London, UCL, Warwick, Wolverhampton and York.

The delegation


It was a large representation and I must say that I was glad to meet all the heads of the Malaysian societies in each of the universities. Apart from that, we had the group photo opportunity and chance to savour our Malaysian food, prepared by the Malaysia Hall. Curry chicken, sambal telur, curry fish, rendang daging..they were just excellent!


The lunch

Dinner


One of the highlights that came out of the council was to host distinguished Malaysian speakers for dialogues, when they stop over in London for official trips in the next few months. Among those names that were proposed were Dr Zeti, Anwar Ibrahim, Chandra Muzaffar, Datuk Nazir Razak, Datuk Musa Hitam, Datuk Azman Mokhtar, Datuk Tony Fernandes and etc. I am really looking forward to that.

I guess my £20 investment in applying for a Young Person's Railcard for discount travel to London (frequently) would pay off very soon!

6 comments:

feifeipinky said...

great opportunity & experience u had...

Raymond said...

whats next?u seemed to be a high-flying postgraduate that has the capability to shut off those lazy malaysians(ahem....certain kind la) studying over there heh~

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

I was on the verge of falling sick last night. Throbbing sensation from the parietal lobe to medula oblongata. Luckily I slept early. I'm feeling much better now.

Wadi: said...

I am impressed. Yes, truly, it's an honour. Believe me, you would be able to utilise as many networking opportunities as you could. It will also give you some ideas and impression towards the people that you will be dealing / listening / discussing with. Another step ladder for you and indeed, you are making the headway for leadership :)

Anonymous said...

ah, senpai... i didn't realise that you STILL qualify for the young person's railcard =P

yappari mada wakai ne...

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Gavin,

Either 26yo and below or a full time student in a university. I match the latter.