Sunday, January 21, 2007

Fen Ditton Run


My position and the top 8 positions


After a hectic week of chasing after assignments, readings, group meetings and Compaq repairmen, I told myself to 'let it all out' on the roads in the weekend. It was the Fen Ditton Dash/Run.

Fen Ditton is one of the parts of Cambridge that I have not ventured and am I glad that I did today, because this place must have been the true side of Cambridge at its best! River Cam, scenic view, local folks, local activities, behind-the-scenes of colleges' boat club trainings and most of all, away from tourists!



Cambridge was supposed to snow today, but I guess we'll fix that for another appointment. So, the weather was great. It was cold at about 5 deg C, but there was sun. I was in my usual pair of Nike shorts to suit with my all black attire (no) thanks to the 2005 Singapore Marathon finisher T. Cold, very cold. I was also in gloves, and it helped alot.

The left side of my shoes

The Fen Ditton Run is an 8.1km run over ahem....pockets of muddy green, smooth footpaths, gravel stretches and sticky clayey silt! Imaginatively a yucky run. Indeed it was....very yucky. But hey, didn't I get more than what I expected? Let it all out on the roads man...but I forgot to exclude my pair of shoes. Read on...

I did pretty ok this time. My time was 40mins 26 secs, an improvement from previously. I wasn't at the bottom 2 this time, yay! That means I have improved? I believe so, for the benefit of doubt.


The right side of my shoes. Someone caught me taking this photo and asked, "As evidence eh?" I said, "Nah, it's for my blog.."

Here he is..coming...arrggh, damn the puddle of water!

Heck, I believe I could have done better if not for my Adidas that kept stucking onto the clayey silt, with 5 occasions running back a few meters to collect it from the silt where it lodged. At least 7 runners overtook me for that. Yeah, I was actually walking with my socks on to collect the missing pair! Drat! Double drat! It was just yucky...but it was also satisfying and liberating to soak your foot into the cold, moist silt. Eeew.... I threw my socks away after the run.



Baits Bite Lock, what an interesting name...the last stop in my additional run before heading back.



Scenic view of River Cam and the 'behind-the-scenes' of boat training for the May Bumps. **May Bumps = Inter-College rowing competition over River Cam**


Next week's training distance is set for 10km before mileage picks up the week after. It's just part of my London Marathon training regime. I am glad that I have added on to today's mileage even though I did an 8.1km run, I went on to cover a little more to finish at 16km altogether. Did I say a 'little more' or double? Oops, am sorry. Haha! That was when I discovered Cambridge in its true form, still untouched and unknown to tourists. Shhhh.....don't tell anyone about this article...

4 comments:

feifeipinky said...

waoh! running in these kinda weather....killing man!keep it up!
i bet while u getting ready for ur marathon...many here in KL getting ready for theirs too.

Raymond said...

Hey 8km in 40min was pretty befitting for your flora.I paced with kelvin for the 30km yesterday but he was 'dead' after the 15km.I didnt do well too nonetheless,bit demoralized now.Keep up your training mate!

Wadi: said...

I think the timing is better than the previous run, am I right? by the way, the river looks majestic.

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

As the training regime will only go up from next week onwards, I am worried about training for the 35km portion. Here, time management really have to be perfect man.

Noris: Yup, i did better. Baits Bite Lock is really beautiful. Remind me to bring you there when you come for a visit.