Wednesday, January 24, 2007

First Snow in Cambridge


I slept late last night (this morning) at about 2am. Cambridge was expected to snow at 2am, so I opened the window occasionally to check. Nothing outside. I slept.




When I woke up at 8am, and opened the window, the sky was pinkish and it was strange. I thought that I must be still in a daze or something, from the inadequate sleeping hours. There were alot of chattering outside my room. A commotion, I thought?



The Wolfson College "pi-qiu"
It was snowing! The cleaner lady was outside looking up at the sky. It must have just started and I probably woke up in time for that. I was still fresh from my sleep and was trying to press my hair down while looking at the fluffy snow flakes. The melting flakes definitely helped put some moist onto my hair and styled! How convenient...then, my eyes grew into excitement.
A video was taken:


I knocked on Anthony's door (or Tony as he's called), the Ghana-ian living opposite me.

"Hey Tony! Wake up! It's snowing outside. You don't wanna miss this!"

The Lee Library, Wolfson College

Tony came out. We were taking photos.

Then I called on Eskandar. Eskandar was like," Alden! OMG! It's only 8.30am! I'm still sleeping! What do you want?!!"

One of the tennis courts at Llamas Land


"Come out man! Or just pull your curtain. It's snowing outside! Hey let's go to the city and take some photos after we're done with Wolfson." The snowing started to get heavier after 15 minutes. I was thanking God when I looked at the garden and saw how beautiful the garden turned out to be when it was white and when it wasn't.

King's College and River Cam


The Backs at King's College


Click to enlarge. Panorama view of St John's College


St John's College


We went into King's, Trinity and St John's College for photo opportunities. It was just marvellous! I did not realise I left Wolfson on an empty stomach and without my scarf and extra warm clothing! I nearly froze to death! It was -6 deg C then! I only had my jumper and a pair of gloves on!

Shot taken in the morning


Shot taken at noon. Stark contrast..

The snow did not last through noon. It melted and even that, I felt extremely satisfied with this short experience of a "white Cambridge". I certainly do not want the Urasa, Niigata (Japan) type of snow, where it would be snowing almost every day and pile up to 3 meters until the end of May. If you want to ascertain whether or not I have exaggerated about Urasa, do check this video and tell me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K4hiD1bI98 (take note of the road signs and height of snow)

Another snowing Cambridge video contributed by Kiki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_ukhwv8tgU

7 comments:

Wadi: said...

Hey bro. You are so fortunate and at last, your wish to witness snow in Cambridge has been granted! In Glasgow, I experienced little snow, simply because it's in the city. But, the northen part of Scotland - Stirling, Aberdeen and St. Andrews - it snowed heavily. I wish to have a heavier snowfall. Having said that, the pictures you snapped and the youtube recorded were awesome! Charming Cambridge :)

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

I nearly slept through the morning and missed the whole snowing episode. It was really a nice experience. Looking forward to the next snow showers. I heard it'd be this Friday.

feifeipinky said...

very nice pics....eeee...so envy!!! waoh! u experience white winter in the morning & greeny spring in the afternoon....so fortunate!!! ^_^

feifeipinky said...

hahaha...cambridge oso hv their own "pi-qiu"....cool!

Angel Wong said...

Snow!!!
I wish one day there'll be snow in Malaysia... Sounds ridiculous. But still hoping. Hahaha...
Anyway, nice pics you took! Where's your snowman?!

Raymond said...

snow in malaysia?hahaha,maybe if they abolish the quota in uni entrance then show would be falling in this country!

Angel Wong said...

in other words: THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN..