Thursday, June 29, 2006

My Sporting Life

Though I am a very active sportsperson, I am guilty of not blogging anything about my sporting life here, yet so far. And it is past 3 months (soon) now. I just couldn't find the opportunity to bring my camera along to take pictures of the place where I train, whenever I do my running or swimming. I just find it a hassle to lug it along in my gym bag. So, one day I told myself to do so after much hesitation.


I train at Nishisogo Sports Center, just 1.5km from where I live. The place is a self-contained sports center with tennis, badminton, volleyball, basketball courts, swimming pool, archery ground, football field, baseball field and a big gym. During winter, there is also the indoor running track, indoor tennis court and of course an all-year round indoor swimming pool. I am sure many people have heard of indoor swimming pool, but indoor tennis courrrtt????
The rubberised track comes in two courses. One is the 600m, while the other is 350m. I train with the 600m all the time. The course comes with a fair share of undulated terrain and flat course. I have to admit that 600m is fairly short for long distance training. Usually I would do 20 x 600m, or 15 x 600m on other occasions.

As for swimming, I have joined a 3-month membership to have unlimited usage of the indoor swimming pool. Even though it is only a 25-m pool, am always proud of the indoor pool here. Almost everything in the indoor area is automated and it's really cool. For example, the ambience temperature in the indoor area is controlled at 30 deg C all year round. The water too is set at 30 deg C. There is also a sauna room. As for the shower area, there is a temperature control gauge on the shower knob with dial units from 20 to 70 deg C. Really cool.

External view of the indoor swimming pool. In front is my bicycle, the grandfather type-bicycle which has brought me to many places.

As for the changing room in the indoor swimming pool, it is partially carpetted, can you believe it! Yes, carpetted! So, after drying your feet at a buffer zone, your feet will land on soft wooly carpet. It feels damn good after doing laps in the pool. Japanese really know how to pamper themselves. Am also impressed with the maintenance of the changing area. Every 5 minutes, there is someone making sure the changing room is dry and free from hair. Someone would be combing the area with a mop and static roll to suck up the hairs.

 Posted by Picasa

No comments: