Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Homestay with the Nakata Family (Part 2 of 3)

Tenju-en Park, just a stone throw from the Big Swan Stadium. The place where the Welcome Party was held.

We left home and rushed to Tenju-en Park which was just a stone throw away from the Big Swan stadium (the stadium where one of the 2002 World Cup matches was played). Was really happy to see everyone coming back together from the short absence. Had ice-breaking games, performances, and lots of makan!
One of the two tables with a wide range of food served

The spread on the tables converging from the 18 families was astonishing to say the least. The assortment of food ranged from simple yaki soba to well decorated donno-what-you-call-it sushi, international dishes by luckier/unluckier participants who cooked/has to cook and sinful desserts. Moment of truth came when the Malaysians were given less than 5 minutes to cook up a performance. I was shocked in stupor and the only thing I could think of was where the nearest exit was. Sarah and myself had a break when an Indonesian came to us for a joint-performance. We agreed on Rasa Sayang, a common folksong of the Indonesians and the Malaysians. Sarah played the piano, the Indonesian and myself were doing the singing. Pheeww....I think we managed to pull off that one pretty well... We left for home at 10pm.
Tomoki and myself enjoying the myriad of food from different countries

Ikumi needed to get some food for BBQ the next day with the other families. So, we headed for Jusco in Shibata which is now known to me as the largest Jusco in Niigata. It was really huge, like the whole of Mid-Valley...maybe, or maybe the three-quarters of 1U being Jusco and the rest, tenants. The kids were shopping for the typical Japanese junk food and I, of course being the guest, was helping Ikumi to do the BBQ shopping. I must say she was very hak-hei to have kept asking me what I liked as if the whole BBQ was set for me. She offered sake, wine, beer, etc...but I turned them all down saying it was unnecessary since I would drop dead as soon as I reached home. I was really tired after a whole day of self introduction, marketing of Malaysia, trying to focus on the conversation in Japanese, as well as to teach basic Malaysian expressions. Meanwhile, the kids pulled a decent surprise when they were dividing their treasure bounty of Japanese junk food and voila, I had my share too!
Koki showing off his "children beer". As you can see from the picture, Japan has beer for kids too! Before you fret, I managed to have a sip, it's just apple juice with lots of foam that turned it to look exactly like beer. I was deceived too. The "beer bottle" is written "こどもののみもの" (kodomo no nomimono) meaning children's drink.

They actually bought 4 sets for each of the items and when they finished distributing equally among themselves, they said, 'Kore Aruden-san no'...meaning 'This is your’s'. My face was flushed red immediately, perhaps by the abrupt turn of event in front of Ikumi. I was really touched by the kids' gestures. They were so adorable. Though I was no fan of junkies and I was too full to stuff anything more, I took them anyway and opened one of the packets. I was just being courteous and being a Malaysian, of course. It was one of those typical Japanese junkies and the one that I opened was a cotton-candy sprinkled with little bombs that pops when they react with the moist in the mouth. It was 'explosive', literally...but yah, it was quite nice... Ikumi prepared the ofuro (Japanese bath like the hotel bathtub), with the digital temperature gauge set to 45deg C for me to pamper myself. I was really spoilt. It was great! I don’t really know how else to describe this.I thought I would drop dead as soon as I reached home but I was more refreshed after the bath. I spoke to Ikumi instead, until 1.30am. I taught her like a teacher of the Malay language and how she should introduce herself properly, say this and that, revision of the basic greetings that I taught her earlier, etc.



Posted by Picasa

No comments: