Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Homestay with the Nakata Family (Part 1 of 3)

Welcome ceremony where I was introduced to the Nakata Family

This is perhaps one of the most wonderful and memorable times I ever had since coming to Japan. I did a homestay with the Nakata (中田) family over the weekend, under the Hippo Family Club. It was organised by the university. I did some last minute souvenirs packing (last minute person, as usual).
Some of the souvenirs for the Nakata family

Got them some batik souvernirs and the KLCC scaled model. Irene did a marvellous job in the whole souvenir delivery, and her top-notch detailing, up to the type of envelopes for use.

Front to back: Yoshiki, Koki & Tomoki

The Nakata family consists of Ikumi Nakata (mother), Tomoki Nakata (eldest son), Koki Nakata (2nd son), Yoshiki Nakata (youngest son), Yoriko Nakata (grandmother) and the father who is away in Tokyo for work (Tadashi Nakata). A bond was forged as soon as I was introduced in the welcome ceremony held at the university, as if we met in our past life before. The children were so kind to me from the first minute we met. Kouki, 10, kept touching my hand and caressing it as if to check if a foreigner's hand has the same texture as a Japanese. Apparently, he didn't find anything special and kept repeating this funny antic until the next day. Tomoki ,13, was really loving, making sure I understood whatever that was going on from the journey back to their home to the journey back to mine. He was always the one taking the trouble to look behind his seat for me and made sure I was not scratching my head whenever the mom asked me something. Yoshiki, 6, was always the tiniest feature in the family and the most adorable of course. He was the one who kept holding my hand, like a father-son relationship. Well, I felt like a father of course. Even the mother said it was unusual to have him been so close to someone in such a short period of time.

As usual, even though they spoke very little English or none at most of the time, like other Japanese, the intensive Japanese course was helping much. The short forms or conversational forms were of great help, really. Of course, I did not understand everything when the speed was too fast, but at least I now know what is going on and get the gist of the message. The Nakata family has 6 cats at home. Each of the sons adopts one, the father and the mother as well. The additional one is for everybody. I was really surprised to see so many cats in the house. I was exposed to dogs more when I was in Malaysia and not cats. So, it was a weird experience, especially when cats, you know...
Koki showing the cat toilets. This is the first time I see a cat toilet...

Their home was at Nishi-Shibata (West Shibata), about 39km away or 45minutes drive from where I live. Still in Niigata though. I was very lucky to have a family who didn't need me to help them in anything. I was expected and prepared myself to help in the kitchen for the welcome party with the other homestay students later in the evening. However, I was only told to play with the children, but we ended up watching Alien vs Predator! Or should I say, that I was unlucky that I did not have the chance to cook in a true Japanese environment or learn how to cook some Japanese dishes...

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Der Warnew & Penguin 2 said...

Alden,

I can see that you really enjoy yourself to the fullest in Japan.

It is definitely a pleasure to read posting of your fantastic activities in Japan.

Keep it up man !!!