Monday, March 29, 2010

Proving a point, fulfilling an objective

In fulfilling one of the fifteen Development Objectives to becoming a Chartered Engineer, I had to demonstrate that I have achieved an "effective interpersonal skills" throughout my professional years. The examples given to demonstrate this, according to the Institution of Civil Engineers, were through these:

"Reports. Letters. Drawings etc. Presentations. Exchange of information. Advice to technical and non-technical colleagues. Contribute to meetings. Consider the views of others. Consultation. Knowledge and use of IT. Present your case and defend it. Conduct discussions."

Seven years ago, I presented a highway tunnel project that I was working on to a television production team. The team was doing a documentary on the project as it was the widest tunnel and most expensive highway link (price/km) in Malaysia at the time. I led in the general presentation of the project while my manager led on the on-site technical presentation of the tunnel. I didn't appear in the TV since it was a general briefing but my manager did as he presented the "more relevant" bits.

I found it difficult to put this in writing for my professional review. So I uploaded the video in Youtube and attached the URL in the report. That way, I provided an opportunity for the assessors to evaluate easily this skill set that I claimed to have acquired, if they so choose to view it, and for me to demonstrate that I've not only left a legacy of my work there but also proven a point that I've fulfilled all the criteria including playing as an extra a VERY small role in TV (try 4:07-4:12 and 4:39-4:41).

I only hope someone from the panel of assessors can understand Malay language! If not, just evaluate those slides in the documentary. After all, they were all done by me and the good news is all of them were in English. Or at least award me points in "knowledge and use of IT" with this Youtube!

Now just to share the video with you....

No comments: