Sunday, March 07, 2010

Newham London 10k Run

Stratford Park

Today I ran the inaugural Newham London 10k Run. Newham is one of the 32 London Boroughs. A borough is like KL's municipal councils, only smaller. The race started at Stratford Park and Stratford is the home of the London Olympic Park. That is why the run was also known as the Olympic Park Run.

Start line

On this occasion, participants had the rare opportunity to run into the Olympic Park site, which would otherwise be out of bounds to the public. In fact, when we ran into the site, there was a human chain of security personnel stationed at the secured areas.
Main stadium at the Olympic Park

It was a clear and sunny morning. The temperature was -4 deg C when the race started. I wore three layers on the top and a pair of long runners. Luckily there was a warm up session 10 minutes before the race. That sort of warmed up the body a little.

The race was well organised and marshalled. Chip timing; good supply of water and isotonic drinks. Course was mostly flat with short sections of undulation. Also the first time I wore the Asics Gel Nimbus 11 shoes since I bought it in January. No pain or chaffing encountered on either foot. An absolutely great pair of shoes; ready to run without seasoning.

Got a medal and T-shirt at the finishing along with sport snacks and drinks. The design was similar like the Great North Run, because it was organised by the same Great Run committee. Only grief was the pink medal lanyard and font in some parts of the T-shirt which was "too soft" for my liking, albeit a first of its kind in the collection of medals and T-shirts I have to-date. Please promise you will not do this to us again!

The medal

The T-shirt

Results are out in the website. My time was 44mins 50secs.

My 10k PB was 44mins 6 secs in the 2008 Nike Human Race.

Post-article note: You are right, Raymond, I didn't train for this.

3 comments:

feifeipinky said...

i like the medal. ^_^

Raymond said...

I like the shirt. Maybe we can exchange tees haha.
I hv some nice HK runs t shirt

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Ray, that's a good idea. Let's do a Tee-swap