Monday, June 23, 2008

When UKM drops its M

That’s quite a struggle when you want to be accredited as a Chartered Engineer in the UK but holds a Malaysian engineering degree. That’s what I realised recently when I was making attempts to be a “professionally qualified” engineer in this country.

It’s not that it will make a huge difference in status or that it’s valued when I go home. But since I’m here, I might as well work towards something that is valued here.

Then again, I found myself caught in a logistical quagmire - going in circles and trying to clear a path through the dense forest with no clear directions. There are like hundreds of lines of explanation and things to remember in order to get to point B from A, but every time when I feel like I’m getting somewhere, there are obstacles. It’s like one of those Indiana Jones treasure hunt experience – it’s in front of you but you have to wade through scorpions!

At some point I wished I were a Singaporean or a citizen in any of the Washington Accord signatory countries. Their engineering schools are first of all, accredited by the engineering institutes here and secondly, their professional qualifications are convertible into a UK one! Recognition is not only confined to engineering qualifications but also other qualifications like driving.

So what if Malaysian engineering degrees are not accredited overseas?

Not a lot if you aren’t thinking of progressing to be a Chartered Engineer or anything more than just being employed. But if you are, there’re a few steps extra and every stage of progression is £££. That means it can be “costly” without accreditation.

I did find myself disadvantaged and peeved in some ways. Our entire engineering education system is based on the British systems. We have good researches happening at home. It’s understandable if the US demands some form of topping up courses because of the irregularity of standards between two countries. But not being recognised by the country that we based our engineering standards from is just strange. It seems wrong too!

Okay, though I must admit we used AASHTO and the ASTM in some areas. But that’s because they appear to be more robust and sound in areas where the BS-es aren’t.

I want to blame someone but I do not know who. Sometimes I blame our government for not doing enough. I can’t help but think, “why aren’t we bloody signed up to the Washington Accord??!! What’s stopping us??” Then I would concede that we may not measure up to international standards after all? We have too much to do with existing undergraduates who are not meeting industries’ expectations. So, that’s like asking a toddler to run before knowing how to walk.

Sometimes I blame myself for not doing my undergraduate overseas. The thought of turning down a scholarship to study in Singapore highlights one of the bad decisions in life. Or why don’t I just blame the UK institutions for being such a snob, right?



Wrong.

I think the reason is multiple and complicated. Perhaps the question is: Is it really important getting into the Accord and trying to be known by the signatory countries? Why should we when the rest of the hundred over countries aren’t? Why the UK? Why not Japan? Why not Germany? After all, these countries are also known for their engineering prowess worldwide.

I have stopped passing the buck. In fact, I don’t think there is a buck to pass. Complaining isn’t going to solve problems. Making the first move is.

6 comments:

AdamLoh said...

Congratulation man you make all of us so proud, on your graduation, did not know that Irene went for your graduation,


I wish I could also attented your graduation by you also told me Don't Go Lah.

So proud of you.

Raymond said...

Yeah all of us so proud of this guy one Adam!
UKM sucks big time but i think our country sucks even bigger!lol
Shame*

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Don't Go Lah: Hey! Thanks. so how's it like working as a nurse now? haha...

Iron Hee: Eh...don't talk so much...I remember UM's ranking has dropped ok! If UKM's not accredited here...UM ah...do your own deduction;)

Kiki said...

Don't give up! I think you will get your chartership in the end - just need to figure out how the system works here in the UK!

The thing about Washington Accord is that it's a mutual recognition, meaning that if Malaysia signs up to the Accord, then qualifications of the UK engineers will be recognised in Malaysia as well. Perhaps Malaysia is not yet ready to open the engineering job market to foreigners.

Wadi: said...

Dear Alden,

Your predicament is also being shared with other professionals too. Our qualifying professional bodies are still politically motivated and still could not accept on the open market thingy.

I have many friends who are Doctors, reluctantly returning to Malaysia due to this. Yet, they earn very high pay in the UK.

As for yourself, I pity that due to the non-accord of Malaysia, being the member of the Washington Accord, it undermines many hopefuls soon-to-be chartered engineer to explore the opportunities globally.

You are right to express that, perhaps, our Government has not done or pushed much on this. If you are to turning back to your Singapore Scholarship opportunity, I think, you would not be able to meeting great Chevening friends :) (I think).

Nevertheless, I believe you could pull through this bureaucracy / protocol by lobbying with your fellow engineer colleagues. Anyways, you still, should be proud of being a Shell Centenary/ Chevening Scholar of Cantab :)and being a Malaysian in the heart of the global city of London (central london, to be exact).

Cheers
Noris

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Noris,

Thanks for your kind words. You are right. Regardless, UKM has brought me to where I am and who I know today ;)