Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lots happened today

It was as if there's no tomorrow.

Just outside my house, there's the Coin Street Festival. Lots of performances.

While walking along the Southbank, there was a book launch by Terry Pratchett. I suspected something amiss when there was an unusually long queue at the Foyles book shop.

Terry Pratchett

Even though I didn't know who that guy on the table signing autographs was, a quick search on Wikipedia revealed that he was the best selling author in the country in 1990. He is a British fantasy, sci-fi and children's book author. I asked my housemate and she instantly associated him to "Discworld".

I also knew there was a Thai Festival happening in Trafalgar Square. So I went for a visit.

This is probably the most hygienic Thai food I've ever witnessed!



There was some sort of an event hijack in Trafalgar Square as well. Up the sky, the RAF was in action when the Thai festival was going on. The planes were basically streaking and screaming across the Square. If this were a conversation between two people, you'd probably say, "How rude!"

I don't know if they were practicing for an event or rehearsal for a show since George Bush will be in London today.
Event hijack by RAF

At another corner in the Square was a demonstration by Kyrgyzstan and Cuban activists. So much were happening here.

Demonstration by activists

Not too far from the Square in Hyde Park Corner, a group of cyclists were staging a naked protest against the use of car and oil. The event was called World Naked Bike Ride. Thousands of them gathered and cycled around the city in nude. I call it a demonstration of love for nature that is not skin deep but deeply in skin!
Naked Bike Ride started in Hyde Park Corner (A more subtle photo I picked from the lot. Don't click to enlarge if you don't want to see details!)

Them passing Leicester Square

6 comments:

RachelC said...

Wow, a lot and after all that you missed the Trooping of the Colour, one of the largest displays of pageantry we do in the UK. The RAF jets were doing a flyby for the event, to celebrate the Queen's Official Birthday; it was a bit larger than usual as it's the RAF's 90th this year.

I came to you site as I too caught the Naked London Bike Ride - that was fun and surreal if the laughter going round the crowd was anything to go by.

SinLoong 欣伦 said...

whoahhhhhhhhhh!

feifeipinky said...

waoh! london is so colorful & happening! u sure wont feel bored staying there...hehe..

John said...

How I wish we have a Naked Bike Ride here in Malaysia! Certainly I won't be cycling but busy taking photographs! Hahaha!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

I have expected comments for this article will be centred on the Naked Bike Ride instead of the Thai Festival! hahaha.

shirley ng said...

OH ... MY ... GOSH !!! You saw Terry Pratchett???? Arghh.....