Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Word of the Day is TONSILLITIS

This morning I went to see a doctor in Puchong. Told him I had a pro-longed sore throat. He shoved a flat stick into my mouth and pointed a torch light into the gap. He was like….

”You have tonsillitis. How on earth could you have waited for a week to come here? Isn’t it painful?”

Hahaha…

I told doc, “Of course it is, but I was lazy”

I don’t even know what’s tonsillitis. So, he explained it was a bacterial infection. It is an inflammation of the tonsils, the fleshy clusters of tissue on both sides of the back of the throat that fight off germs that enter the body through the mouth. The tonsils become enlarged and red, and can be coated with a yellow, gray, or white substance. Typical symptoms include sore throat, fever, swollen glands in the neck, and trouble swallowing. Exactly what I kena the past week. That sort of explained why all the salt-gargles, honey drink and other unprescribed medicine did not seem to work. Well, the panadol did give a little bit of relieve for a few hours before the swallowing becomes painful again.

Doc then said….”You need a premium antibiotic to fight the bacteria since it’s spreaded over a wide area now. You know, the word "premium" is automatically associated with high cost. Doc showed me the exclusive packaging "Augmentin 625mg". Ooo, very impressive packaging, really! Doc said, "don’t worry, you’d be alright within a day or two”

Doc said “You better take a day off because the antibiotics will make you weak”.

Then, I was adamant,”I don’t think that’s necessary”

Doc seemed surprised, “I noticed you have turned down the MC I gave you previously and this time too. Are you really that busy? You never know, maybe your tonsillitis came from your stressful workload.

Hahaha….

i told him, “No la, just don’t want la. Btw, can I continue with my sports activities?”

Doc said, “Anyway, I'll just issue you the MC, in case you need it.”

Then he was telling me about Chua Jui Meng’s story about sweating it out if you are sick and all that political stuff, he was saying that I should not work out if I’m still unwell because my heart may apparently fall off position if I did….haha..or something like that “

“What sports do you do?”, he asked.

“Triathlon” , I said.

He was stunned for a moment. Isn’t that a very strenuous sports? You’d probably got yourself infected while training. Or maybe you wrecked your throat with grilled stuff on friday? Did you take any? I don't remember having any grilled stuff except that I was finishing Han's "chicken soup for the soul" and spicy spaghetti.

I think it was from training then, from the swimming pool last week.

Doc thinks some rascals who had skin infection went on swimming in the pool and people like me kept sucking up those bacteria till I'm down with tonsillitis. So, Irene is innocent from all charges of infecting me with her cough and all.

Doc said I should be up and running in a day or two. That was nice to hear. So, when I was waiting at the dispensary, the nurse whom I’ve befriended since my previous visits, told me that the “premium antibiotic”, apparently from GlaxoSmithKline costs RM50 for 7 tablets!! That's really premium. I have not even included other medicine which would be my staple food for the next few days. I guess the bill shot up to about RM90.

I took the medicine as soon as I stepped into the car. I think Augmentin worked pretty well. The soreness on the throat slowly diminished and I believe the battle of the bacteria will be putting up the white flag soon and I should be back with my KFC Bandito Pocket and McDees prosperity burger in a few days…..fingers crossed. Even if those are not achievable, at least let me be well and up for the coming New Year’s Eve party….pray for me....

2 comments:

Raymond said...

Augmentin kills!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Yes, the bacterial infection in my throat that is...