Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas At SFX


This year’s Christmas was celebrated at the Church of St Francis Xavier. I went to the Midnight Mass extremely early to avoid the jam. Yah, it takes a kiasu to know one and how one operates.

Happily, merrily, taking pictures away, I spotted a mice trying to hide away from my sight. Perhaps it was the movement to hide away from me that got me his attention. It was pang cheng, a “mangsat” fella by nature. I spotted him and Yen at a corner of the church and waved them over. I think I kinda spoiled the fun for them to surprise me. I knew Han was around the vicinity of the church too. Well, I waited until Han came out of nowhere but before that, continued taking pictures of the crib.

The saying, “once beaten twice shy” seemed to work on me but it was all done in good faith. The first time was my birthday where the two of them including my new pang cheng also sprung into action. It’s one of my most memorable birthdays. For me, I never believe in quantity of friends celebrating, but quality. Sounds like a cliché but true.

The Christmas celebration started off with some powerpoint presentation of how Christ came into the world. Then in between there were choirs who sung the psalms. Seriously, I preferred last year’s presentation even though I believe all of them should be commended for all the hard work they put to make it all happen that night. Maybe it’s just personal preference or maybe I was down with sore throat, apparently infected by Irene.


The night moved on with the celebration of Mass. I am glad non-Catholic friends joined and witnessed the whole event with me in this meaningful night. Shirley, Boon, Yen, Han and Houn were there but I never had the chance to ask them if they enjoy themselves or if they have any questions about the different rituals involved. Perhaps the answer may only come when I invite them again next year….hahaha….that is assuming all of them are free and available again on the night of Christmas eve.

The mass ended sharp at midnight but most of us were hungry, so we went for food like bloodhounds except for Boon and Shirley who needed to catch their plane to Bedfordshire.

First at a Chinese restaurant right next to the La Salle Secondary School. Santa let them off early, so they were closed. Next, we went to Old Town for the Char Kuay Teow and some Dim sum.

Talking about dim sum…. Irene managed to get herself fleeced by an unruly fish ball cum dim sum hawker who charged RM1.50 for a fish ball that taste like a steamed meat ball ala try-hard keropok lekor style. It was a sickening experience because she not only bought some pau, lohmai kai but also 6 of those balls!!! You just have to try it to know the gravity of being conned under moonlight robbery.

Hungry stomachs fed, it’s time to head home. Next morning have to wake up for morning Christmas mass mah…..

No comments: