Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Chin Woo Biathlon 2005





I had to attend Gary and Pooi Fern's wedding on Saturday night in Ipoh. Had to drive back to KL on the same night so that I could participate in the Chin Woo Biathlon which I have forgotten I have signed up earlier. I reached KL at 2am and had to wake up early for the biathlon event. It was tough.

Raymond (Dr. Hee) was parked a few cars away from my car. The long driving fatique was overwhelming me. But I didn't think much of it. Just wanted to complete the race and get on with it.

The race started with the Kids and Veteran category. We started at 8.30am. Had to do a 800m swim and 7km run. In Chin Woo's swimming pool, it's a 25m pool, so we had to swim 32 laps. You'd be lucky if you didn't lose count. Anyway someone would tap your shoulders with a swim board to indicate that you have to swim your last 2 laps. For me, the marshall pressed my head because the board wasn't able to get my shoulders. Pretty ironic isn't it....

My swim time was 14 minutes 42 seconds.

Someone told me I was 4th to have came out from the pool. At first, it was difficult to treat the exhaustion, but when you are in a race, it's a different story. Adrenaline rushes through your blood and you have to do what you have to do....RUN!!!!! It was difficult to get your legs on the ground especially when you are shuddering from imbalance right after coming out from the pool. Jason, one of the Penguins' friend and cameraman was clicking away with his camera. I wish I could strike a few pose but i was literally "too occupied" with the ambience and people around me shouting..."Ok ok.....hurry!!! Alden you are 4th!!". And yeh, you just don't want to be the anti-climax to put on a slow-mo and strike for pose...heck no!

Off to my running leg. It was a dreadful started. I couldn't just create a good pace in the run. Maybe still tired but as the mileage picked up, I could feel lightness and started picking up speed. I think I did a 5-minute pace on average.

I clocked a total time of 49 minutes 34 seconds. So, my running time must have been in the region of 35 to 36 minutes.

I am pretty happy with my achievement this time, I feel I have redeemed myself from a bad marathon race in Singapore and considering from the tiresome journey few hours before it. Dr Hee finished 4th and I was 5th though we had the same first two digit finishing time. I am also very proud of Chee Wee who did his first biathlon and achieved a presentable position.


Photos courtesy of : Jason, KC Leong and Dr Hee

No comments: