Friday, December 09, 2011

Google Accent

I tried the Google App voice search for the first time after installing it a year ago.
I searched for something more recent, something the world talks about, so I tried, "Libya oppression".

The result was "lesbian operation".

Fine, it's my accent. So I cleared my throat and pressed the microphone icon again, I spoke up "li-bi-ya o-preh-shen", this time in a clearer and slower voice.

The result was "legion operation".

Tried again, it was "Libya operation".

Ah..getting there. So I tried again, it was, "Beautiful person".



"Beautiful person" from "Libya oppression"


I gave up in the end, knowing that I will never get there. Or was Google actually telling me these are the outcomes of the Libya oppression? I doubt it's as intuitive as that yet, but who knows.

A moment of realisation, I resorted to typing them out in the search bar and got 2.87 million results in 0.20 seconds.

2 comments:

penelope haque said...

Have you checked out the auto spelling? that's hillarious and yes, no idea why it has the affirnity to associate with sexual inuendoes!

§nóflèk said...

i accidentally used this while playing with my new toy (back when i first bought it) and was quite amazed at its ability to recognise my voice. So somehow it was tuned to japanese search so i tried with some basic greetings and it was able to recognise my already-deteriorating japanese pronunciation lol!