Thursday, February 18, 2010

Organ

Classical organ

The RC Church I attend plays the hymns from a CD-player. It’s beyond solemn by Malaysian standards. Last year the parish priest thanked a parishioner for playing the organ. He was a visiting organist and hasn’t been seen since then. The priest lamented how he wished an organist could play for the Church every week.That was nine months ago.

One evening after a good chat with Fiona, we decided to do something for the Church. I think it was a conversation about “being thankful”. Fiona is a pianist and she plays the guitar too. So I suggested we show our “gratefulness” by playing for the Church. She didn’t take long to agree. It was such that I play the organ, she plays the guitar.

Call it coincidence or miracle or blessing or providence...whatever, a gentleman approached us one Sunday after mass and asked if he could join us to play the guitar. It was quite random, yet coincidental.

Last Sunday, for the first time we played in Church. Amy who came to support, was given a last minute role to handle the maraca. We formed a band of four at the 11th hour, quite literally, and played four songs.

It was a memorable day for me - an achievement to say the least. Not because I've overcome the inaugural performance jittery or that it was the first day of CNY, but also because many parishioners thanked us afterward for playing the instruments. The priest also thanked us in front of the congregation and personally afterward. I felt extremely humbled by this gesture. I didn't feel I did much. I've only played the organ.

Many thanks to Fiona, Amy and Nathaniel.

2 comments:

§nóflèk said...

ooo i didn't know aruden-san was so musically inclined! then you should have played at the church we visited in niigata, and yohei-san's house (instead of me)!

niQue_naQ said...

another hidden talent! good for you :)