Friday, February 05, 2010

Globalisation 3.0

Professor Dani Rodrik, a professor from Harvard University presented at LSE last year about Globalisation 3.0.

What is Globalisation 3.0? Well, let me first establish how we've come from 1.0 to 3.0.

In Globalization 1.0, which began around 1492, the world went from size large to size medium. In Globalization 2.0, the era that introduced us to multinational companies, it went from size medium to size small. And then around 2000 came Globalization 3.0, in which the world went from being small to tiny. Today the world as we know it, is borderless.

For example, there's a huge difference between making long distance phone calls on the Internet today and sending letters twenty years ago, which were the most affordable means of communication at their times.

I have a Globalisation 3.0 story to share. It happened this morning.

A Canadian colleague burst out a familiar tune and sang, "...and the weekly top fortieeeeeeeeee..."

I looked over and said excitedly, "That's Rick Dees isn't it?"

Another Canadian colleague joined in, "O yes! How did you know that?! Did you hear that from the UK? Do we have it here? I miss that."

I told them I heard that from Malaysia and that we already have Rick Dees since the late 90s when a new radio channel was launched . This is globalisation 3.0, I suppose.

No comments: