Sunday, August 16, 2009

London Pride Run

The weather looked promising for the weekend so I checked the RunnersWorld website to sign up for a race. The "best 10k race in London" was happening on Saturday.


It's the London Pride Run, organised by the London LGBT runners. But it's not a run only for LGBT. It's also opened to the public. Places to run was filled two months ago. So I didn't get a place through the proper channel. One of the runners in RunnersWorld was injured. So I took over her place. She was very kind to give me her race number without asking me to pay. Feeling a little bit guilty, I bought her a box of chocolates from Marks and Spencer. So I hope that would help heal her injury faster.

The race was held in Victoria Park, down at London's East End and participated by 800 runners. As this was an LGBT event, there was a good mix of LGBT runners too. It was a strange run actually. I was surrounded by some males who were more feminine than females and ladies who were more masculine than males.

Victoria Park and Tower Hamlets AC clubhouse

The event was well-organised nonetheless. It was chip-timing. Yes, for a 10k race and only 800 runners, this is really something.
New system with chip deactivation after race?

Still, I don't know why it's the best 10k race. Not like the goodie bag came with a day pass to dress as drag queen or sexy underwears. Or perhaps there was a goodie bag for a 10k race was admirable? I don't know.
Breakfast and goodie bag to all runners

I didn't see much difference between this and other 10k races. Well, to be fair, the LGBT volunteers/marshalls did a marvellous job in organising this event and I had a good time in the race.

I smashed my previous PB with a time of 43mins 18secs.

3 comments:

Raymond said...

so u were surrounded with ppl who have Klinefelters and Turners eh....
Must be fun. This kind of race would be banned in Malaysia, maybe in HKG as well. Asians are just too narrow-minded!

T and T said...

Good job! I can only envy your 10k time! :)

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Ray: Isn't HK liberal too??

Teri: One day you will be there or better than that. I've seen how athletes improve over time.