Sunday, July 05, 2009

London to Brighton Bike Ride

Last month I participated in an event to cycle 54miles (86km) from London to Brighton. It was a charity event for the British Heart Foundation.

The company I work for partially sponsored 70 of us for the event. I was lucky to be shortlisted last minute - two weeks before the event! At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to represent the company, so I didn't prepare for the race. I didn't have a regimented training like I had for the marathon nor a proper bike to go long distance. Two weeks weren't enough to prepare for the event. So I went with my mountain bike. It proved to be a struggle riding 54 miles!

Three of us from the same office

27,000 cyclists participated in the ride. We started at different times at Clapham Common. Of the 70, three of us were from the same office. We made prior arrangements to meet up and start together. Well, we did start together but ended up breaking off as soon as the ride started.
Start line

Greg who was on a hybrid bike was "technologically" more superior than us. And my colleague admitted defeat to me right from the warm up session. We acknowledged we could not keep up with each other even before the race. So we agreed to meet up at the finishing line.
A red bus got caught in the middle of us

The ride was more difficult but also more fun than I expected. People and bikes came in all shapes and sizes. There were as many road bikes as there were mountain and folding bikes. Yes, plenty of Bromptons too!

I was a little jittery when I first started because (1) I didn't prepare for the race and (2) I have never cycled more than 25miles in my life!

However, after 10miles into the race, I gathered enough confidence to finish the race. Halfway through, I had a flat tyre. Don't know if I was lucky or unlucky. The tyre punctured in front of an official bike service provider. What are the chances?! The bike mechanics were very helpful. They helped replace the spare tube that I brought, for free. In hindsight, I am glad I brought a spare tube or I would be in trouble as I didn't carry cash with me to buy one.
The mechanic replaced the tube in less than 5 minutes!

The most difficult part of the race was Ditchling Beacon. Cyclists must ride up a winding and steep road for more than 2km before flattening off at the peak. This part reminded me of the steepest climbs at Genting Highlands. A colleague challenged me to ride up Ditchling Beacon without getting off the bike. I took up the challenge and proved myself worthy. The bike computer at one point showed "2 mph"! People who pushed their bikes were faster than me. Many cyclists didn't bother struggling up to the peak. My head nearly exploded from asphyxiation!

Climbing Ditchling Beacon

At the peak of Ditchling Beacon

The road after Ditchling Beacon was the best part. It was all the way down to Brighton. The descend was steep and I hit a top speed of 40mph with a mountain bike. This leg was notorious. Some people lost control and crashed at high speed. The consequences must have been dire.

The last 2 miles to the finishing line was a pain. We had to abide traffic rules and there were no preferential treatment to cyclists even though it was OUR event! We were directed to use the cycle lanes and stop at traffic lights. This slowed our progress tremendously. We even had to stop for pedestrians to cross the roads! The traffic jam created by us from road closures didn't help either.

Finally when I crossed the finishing line, I couldn't wait to get out of the bike. I just didn't want to be on the bike seat anymore. My back and bottom was aching like mad!

I breathed a sigh of relief that I managed to cover 54miles and reached Brighton in one piece. My time was 5hours 10mins. Nothing to shout about.
At the finish line

The company booked the entire terrace of a luxury hotel to celebrate our arrival. We were fed with lots of food and drinks. We had the best view of Brighton and its famous pier from where we were. The party must have cost us a bomb! Still it was a befitting welcome for us who just couldn't be asked to travel any further to reconvene.
Celebration at the hotel terrace overlooking the iconic Brighton Pier

The best thing for me this time, about the ride is not about breaking new limits and getting a medal for it, but knowing that I have overcame the anxiety, fear of uncertainty and challenges of the Ditchling Beacon because of wanting to pedal and make a difference to someone's heart and life.

4 comments:

Jumper said...

Well done for taking up the last minute challenge and completing the race despite being the underdog riding on your humble mountain bike!

feifeipinky said...

Cool! congrat! ;p

AdamLoh said...

don't ride lah

Kelvin Yap said...

Wow, the sifat must be very painful aftre 5 hours bicycle ride... u remember being in your red bmx? i think if u ride on that, your sifat will grow flower!!! Btw, how was the journey back to london from Brighton? Was there transportation to bring back all ur bikes back to london or need to cycle again?