Saturday, July 25, 2009

Fleeced

I was walking along the southbank. A decent man approached from the right. He looked desperate. He asked for help.

"Brother I need a favour from you", he took out his ID from the pocket and showed me, "I am a despatch and my vehicle has ran out of fuel".

I suspected something amiss. Deep inside I knew what was going to unfold. I expected he was going to tell me a sob story and then ask for money. It's something I have heard many times.

I brushed him off and told him I was rushing to the Royal Festival Hall to meet some friends, which was 15minutes from where I was. I told him I was already late. I looked at the time. It was 6.10pm. I showed him my watch and explained, "Look, I am supposed to meet my friends at 6. I'm already 10minutes late!"

I apologised and moved on. He came from the side and pleaded again.

"Brother please. I am an honest man. I don't have money with me now. I would be really grateful if you could help me. I am from Pakistan and I am an honest Muslim man trying to make an honest living in this country. Please trust me. I have a family and I am not what you think I am. I just need some money to refill the tank. Once I'm done with my delivery, I'll return you the cash. Please!"

I stopped and listened. In my heart I was doubting him. Then I started questioning my conscience. What if he was genuine? Why should I be another Londoner who's always wary of the public? Is there really no one in London that I could trust? What would I lose by helping him anyway, even if he was a fake?

I asked how much was he after. He said, "£25"

"£25?!!" I exclaimed. "Why do you need so much money for? It could last you a week!" I reasoned.

"Big vehicle, brother. It wouldn't last the day but still will help."

I asked for a collateral. He suggested his driver's license and mobile phone. But it wouldn't be appropriate since he needed both to drive and return my cash. I asked for his mobile number and ID. I took a photo of the ID. Only now I realised the ID was expired!

Mahmood Khan, the scam criminal

I agreed. We went to the nearest cash machine and I withdrew £25 for him. I didn't pass the cash to him immediately. I insisted to see his stalled vehicle. He said it was a mile away from where we were. I said I will still want to see it. Still, I felt something was amiss.

I called his mobile number and found the number didn't work. I told him that. I was waiting for him to convince me. He said it was in the car turned off. That was strange. Why would anyone put his phone in the car in an emergency??! The £25 was still in my pocket. I refused to let it off easily. I made him work for it. We walked a little further and stopped. He took down my number and name and promised to return call.

He sensed I wasn't comfortable with him. He reiterated, "Look brother, you can trust me ok. I am an honest man. I am Muslim. My religion forbids me to lie. I will go to hell if I lie."

I took little comfort from his words. I was weighing what I should do next. I thought we have taken each other for a ride too far for £25. It wouldn't worth my time for £25. That's what I pay for a 10k run here and the effort he took to fleece me, if he intended to, was much more than I would put in a 10k run.

I wonder who took who for a ride now. I already have in possession of his ID card and mobile number. I have his photo. I had the better side of the bargain now. He would have more to lose if he lied.

I didn't want to waste anymore time. I thought I had quite a good experience indulging and learning how the whole scam was taking place. I had enough. I passed him the notes.

He thanked and offered a hug. I backed off and wished him luck. He dashed to his delivery van, perhaps.

I called the Metropolitan Police immediately and made a report. The officer heard the entire story. But the officer was optimistic. He said I could be doing a good deed and have helped someone in trouble. He praised me for it. I was the pessimist. I told the officer that I wasn't uncomfortable with the £25 but the number that I rang from my phone. The engaged tone was a little disturbing.

I stopped short of being a racist. I didn't emphasise his nationality but I did emphasise of the need to be very concern with anything that has got to do with mobile phone, southbank, petrol and the month of July. He could immediately connect the dots.

I reinforced this by telling him, "You know, it's shocking what people can do with mobile phones nowadays. They can go with anything. You never know where they'll detonate next!"

The officer comforted me and asked not to worry too much. He took down my statement and thanked me for flagging this up.

I called the Pakistani swindler's office awhile ago. It was a despatch office and they work 24-7. I asked for verification of the person. They confirmed he has left since February this year. They gave me his other mobile number and house telephone number. I called both numbers and they didn't connect.

I reported to the office again. I was passed to the operations manager immediately. They considered this a breach of the company's security. Many more people could be swindled through the misuse of the company's ID. The manager was very concerned and promised he would raise the issue to his bosses and report the case to the police immediately. He also promised someone from his office will follow up the case with me come Monday.

Mahmood Khan is a disgrace to his religion. He obviously messed with the wrong guy. I hope and I believe the law will catch up with him soon. For me, I've had a good time with his ride even though I knew I would be fleeced. It's weird I allowed this to happen. Who would?!

I have lost £25 today but he has lost more. Mahmood Khan's life is now ruined. I have successfully made him a listed criminal, cracked the scam and got him having sleepless nights and living in fear of the law catching up with him soon.

5 comments:

cRAzYtoMatOmaN-D said...

I encountered similar incident back here in KL. After withdrawing money from ATM, a very sad n desperate looking woman approached me asking for money to help her and child.
I told her I will if she follow me to the nearest police station and we get their assistance as well.
Immediately she backed off and said no need...

feifeipinky said...

look at the bright side, they only took ur money without hurting u physically. when one desperate for something, they will do whatever they can to get it. we'll just see when they get their punishment.

Anonymous said...

Good on you. You assessed the risk accurately and made a decision based on your values. Then you had a plan to follow it through in case of the worst case. I wouldn't have done what you did (I'm too risk averse) but I think you were true to yourself!

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Raymond: I will drag this fella by the collar to the police station if i see him again!

ffpk: had i pushed on to see the vehicle, who knows where he would have brought me to, right? he could've killed me for 25quid!

Joan: At the end of the day, my intentions were good. It's people like him who make the public become wary of others. He's such a disgrace.

SinLoong 欣伦 said...

since u ve decided to give, then give willingly lor. it is not right for him to cheat but since u can afford such money, just treat it as an "experience". don't let this affect ur compassion for the poor and the needy. continue to do good :)