Monday, November 16, 2009

Marmite Lover

Marmite - "love it or hate it". That's how Marmite brand themselves. I am a Marmite lover.

Yesterday I found a Marmite store at the southern end of Regent Street (or nearby Piccadilly Circus). I was really excited by it. I mean, a store dedicated for a vegetable spread brand smack in the heart of London?? That must be really expensive! It's like having a store for sambal belacan lovers next to KLCC's Zara.

Marmite store by Regent Street


I walked into the store and looked around. There were lots of Marmite merchandise and the spread itself in different sizes. A book caught my attention - "Marmite Tips".


Interesting tips

I browsed through the pages and found a few interesting tips. However, there was a silly one; "...Marmite will aid recovery from a hangover". They certainly got the right target audience in this country!

There were two floors in the store. At the upper floor, I was greeted by a lady who asked, "Are you a lover or a hater?" I told her that I am a lover. She smiled and offered me a "Marmite Lover" sticker. I guess that means I am now an "official member" of the Marmite club.

I told her that I grew up eating Marmite in rice porridge and hard-boiled salted duck eggs. In Britain, rice porridge is easily misunderstood as rice pudding, a type of dessert. So I explained to her the difference. She asked if it was sweet; then if it was like oat porridge. I told her it's basically someone crazy who is trying to cook rice with eight times the amount of water normally used. She got it immediately.

I have yet to try it on toast though. I never bothered. The thought of it sounded disgusting. I guess it's like slapping tar on bread.

I have a small bottle of Marmite at home that was finishing. The shop reminded me that I had to replenish supply. So I bought a big one this time - a 500g jar. There's now a Marmite and its mini-me in the kitchen cabinet.
Marmite and mini-me

5 comments:

feifeipinky said...

marmite with toast-bread & butter is nice..class 1. but i dont fancy making it as a drink like some ppl does... hahaha

§nóflèk said...

ya i eat it like feifeipinky too! on bread and dissolved and made into soup. i remember experimenting it in urasa, making roast chicken with it :D

SinLoong 欣伦 said...

i prefer bovril :P

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

ffpk and Sarah: yes i will try it on toast soon. when i have a simple meal with rice and a dish, i will make a bowl of Marmite soup too.

SinLoong: My family used to eat Bovril too. Somehow I don't know what happened to Bovril. We didn't continue eating it. Was there a time it was bankrupt and then resurrected?;)

SinLoong 欣伦 said...

that time bovril disappeared fr the market was due to the mad cow disease in london... not bankrupt lar. msians don't dare to eat coz afraid of jadi gila like those cows. lol.