Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sakana, the friendship song

On a Saturday afternoon back in 2007 as Raymond, Irene and I were walking along the sushi and sashimi aisle in Jusco* Mid-Valley we heard a Japanese song playing in the background. It sounded like a nursery song but it also sounded like an adult song. We couldn't make up what it was but it did tickle us at the time.

I've finally seen the video (below) awhile ago. The name of the song is O-Sakana Tengoku which means "Fish Paradise". The music video actually made it appear sillier than it sounded! A typical masterpiece of silly Japanese song I would say.

It was very easy to follow. We soon got hung of it and started singing along. As I just returned from Japan at the time, (on transit to the UK for my masters), I roughly made up that the lady was singing about fish. It was a befitting song for the sushi aisle.

Two years have passed. On my recent trip back to KL, I visited the same spot and to my delight, the song was still playing! I exclaimed to Irene, "Oh listen! That's the funny song!" We burst out laughing and recounted the good old days we had with the three of us.

Video of the Sakana song by Shibaya Hiromi

The song sticks to the mind like singing the ABC for the first time. Whenever I hear that song again, it will remind me of the three of us. "Fish!", you may say, but I shall now make "Sakana" our friendship song.

*Jusco is the largest Japanese store chain in Malaysia

8 comments:

feifeipinky said...

hahaha...Oh My! u actually looked for this song in youtube & posted it up.

hahaha...no wonder i gotten a call from u 4am this morning with this song playing...hahaha

ya, now that u & ray both in overseas..whenever i visit Jusco & heard this song...really laugh inside, reminds me of u & ray. our theme song. ;p

feifeipinky said...

hahaha...i watched the video again..haha, is so funny.

Raymond said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....i laughed till my tears came out lah!!!

Great one man! i suggest we go midvalley jusco in december for reunion k. hahaha

Raymond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sarah said...

now you make me wanna go visit that aisle in jusco midvalley, just to listen to this sakana song.
i think it's a great tool to teach kids about fish, since there are so many names of fishes/ocean creatures in the song, esp in hiragana too!

feifeipinky said...

ray...ya, reunion in midv jusco is a great idea..haha.
mb v can create a friendship dance too..haha

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

Irene: Yea i found it while i typed in the key words "Sakana sakana sakana" in Google.

Ray: Yea, a reunion in Jusco MV will be great! We can recruit more "members". Imagine a few of us stand near the radio and listening to the song like a national anthem. Wd be really funny..haha.

Sarah-san: If you go there do tell us if the song is still playing. I am really fond of it now that i have the mp3 downloaded.;) O yes, have you also been to Jusco MV? They have a good selection of Japanese food, the ones we can find in Jusco, Uoroku and 100yen shops in Japan. Remember sushinoko (the vinegar powder to make sushi)?You'll find that in MV too. They also have a good selection of natto.;)

Kryptos said...

tat fish song is also one of the first few songs i heard in japan. they play it ad infinitum in don quixote... -_- everytime after i go to tat place, the song adamantly echoes in my head for days...