Tuesday, September 02, 2008

I nearly got married...

Lil Khoo asked if I'd like to meet his friend who's friendly, single and around my age. I said why not.

A week after, a holy matrimony was arranged between Juitan (not her real name) and I. I was in my wedding suit with my bestman and groomsmen on the day but I haven't even met Juitan or get to know her properly, goodness sake!

My parents were there to make sure I wasn't feeling nervous. But how can I not feel nervous when I'm not doing something I know! I couldn't believe it I asked my groomsmen the name of my bride and her character and looks. How can I not know the person I am marrying? It's ridiculous!

One of the groomsmen pulled me to a room where Juitan's photo was hung. He pointed to the framed photo. She's a bespectacled Chinese. I kept quiet and nodded. Then we left the room.

I sat back at the table and my parents and family were all dressed for my big day. They neither looked excited nor sad. But I was worried; dead worried about what have I or not gotten myself into. I kept hoping someone would jump out and say, "smile you're on candid camera!", but that moment never came.

My parents-in-law came over and asked me to make a speech. It was my first time seeing them. We shook hands. Suddenly there were a lot of people surrounding us and waiting to hear from me. I stood up and greeted everyone.

I blushed and then continued with my speech. It was the speech of my life but I lied. I told the greatest lie to my audience that "I had the greatest honour of marrying Juitan" and I thanked her parents for "trusting me with their daughter". How can I say that?! I was flabbergasted!

After the speech, the crowd dispersed leaving my parents and Juitan's at the scene. We came together and my father-in-law put his arm around my shoulder. He checked how was I feeling. I said horrible.

"How can I marry your daughter when I don't know her?!" I yelled at him.

"Don't worry. What's important is that she knows you!" he retorted.

I was puzzled but he continued, "Juitan has known you much earlier. She's been reading your blog!"

I was like, "What?! No! You can't be serious!"

I pulled my parents aside and broke the news to them that I must end this right away. My dad sadly looked down and continued, "That's your choice. You're old enough to make it. Do what you think is right."

Then I walked over to Juitan's parents, as if I was at the boxing ring talking to both parties. I apologised I couldn't marry their daughter. It's just wrong. I don't even feel right doing that!

They nodded their heads as if understanding my predicament well and over. They didn't say anything and then slowly walked away. I didn't see them again. My parents and I left the scene. It was a fast transaction like in the supermarket.

I woke up from my sleep. It was the weirdest dream ever in my life! I could even recall the image of Juitan!

Today at work, while still recovering from my illness, the framed photo of Juitan emerged in my mind. I thought it was strange I didn't meet up with Juitan at all in the dream! Suddenly it crossed my mind that the photo looked like those that you'd usually see in an obituary. In fact, it was also sized that way! It was a chilling moment. I quickly got back on to work and stopped thinking about it.

A while ago, I Google-ed for the name and image of my "bride". I found a match that fitted 90% of the person I dreamt of. Only thing, she's not wearing a pair of spectacles. I concluded this person must be alive then.

But that's strange enough to have someone with that name and with a close match of the image that I dreamt of. A scarier thing is that, I haven't even come across such a person with this name and who looked like that, ever in my life!

I hope this person is okay whoever she is, if this is a premonition of some sort. I can only pray in times like this.

6 comments:

John said...

I must admit I have goose bump when reading the later part of this article. Hope you know what month it is now in Chinese.

CP Waterman said...

I knew it must be a dream when I got to the 3rd paragraph. Haha
Anyway, Joseph had 4 dreams before the end of the 2nd chapter of the Gospel of Matthew. You had a very interesting & profound DREAM!

feifeipinky said...

john...me too, i have goose bump after reading it..

Noob Tourist said...

wah...is this a horror story or what....*shiver*

Yap! It's 3088.. said...

No no...this is real. I don't do pak pandir stories. the reason it's chilling is because it is also hidden with different messages to different readers, isn't it?

Angel Wong said...

OMG..!!
this is so freaking scary and just so you know, its almost 3am as Im reading this entry of yours..
gee...