Thursday, May 01, 2008

When you assume...

That was what happened in the office today.

I was awashed with guilt and embarassment after a little misunderstanding in the office.

Usually one of us would bring snacks to share with the team. I'd bring biscuits or chocolates, since that's the "standard" here. Have never attempted durians though.

The common area was filled with food today. Not only had someone brought biscuits and chocolates but pies, fruits, cakes, candies, sausages and profiteroles. As I walked pass, I took one of the profiteroles. They looked lovely. I went back to my work station and sat down.

As I was putting the little dough into my mouth, a colleague seated beside me, Nicole, exclaimed, "Ah Yap! Don't steal food! They're not ours!"

I could feel hot blood rushing through my head at an instance. It was probably because her voice emerged out of nowhere and broke the silence of a serious working environment.

I was like, "What?! Really?!" I was lost for words.

Nicole explained, "These're from the other team. They are celebrating today. They've achieved their team targets." She did the finishing kungfu kick of death and repeated.."Don't steal food! Ah! C'mon!" She burst into laughter as if enjoying every bit of my embarassment.

The other members in our team looked at me and laughed.

I apologised and said I didn't know about it. They know I was embarassed. I could almost camouflage a scarlet wall. I tried picking up the shattered pieces of my dignity.

At 3pm, the other team came to us and offered to share their cakes and some other leftovers. Nicole looked at me. I looked at her. We both laughed. There's this unspoken agreement between us that I've been vindicated from "all charges".

Now that my feelings have consolidated, I can really laugh at my silly mistakes and the unforgiving nature of being the brunt of a joke.

Moral of the story is: When you assume, you make an "ass" of "u" and "me". Mathematically put: assume= ass /(u+me).

2 comments:

Medie007 said...

that's a funny one! LOL

Sayani said...

okay that is mathematically supported too...wow!!!