Saturday, March 15, 2008

Serious talks at LSE

Last month after weeks of stultifying fug of stuffy investment numbers floating in the office, I made trips to London on two separate days to listen to two great speakers talk. The events were held at the London School of Economics (LSE) and were opened to the public.

It was great opportunity for me to sharpen my focus on issues that have a wider concern and keep me in check of my struggle to be a T-shaped engineer (read my profile). T-shaped engineer is neither a position that you can find in job recruitment agencies (or even Google) nor a creature from the North Pole.

The first was Joseph Stiglitz who came to present and launch his new book on "The Three Trillion Dollar War: The true cost of the Iraq Conflict". He was the Nobel Prize winner in Economics in 2001 and is a professor in the world renown Columbia University, New York.

Professor Joseph Stiglitz

The second talk was by Sir Nicholas Stern who presented his views on "Climate Change, Energy and the Way Ahead".

Sir Nicholas Stern

I wouldn't get into academics now about what I've learnt or felt about their talks but there are some serious concerns out there that need our concerted actions to make things happen. That's the shortest possible one-liner summary I could make for both talks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Climate change is deemed more fearful than terrorism. I would hope that we will stop wasting our resources and energy in fighting one another. We should collectively work towards curbing pollution and managing an efficient use of our limited resources!! Think about our children.

tw