Thursday, July 27, 2006

My trip to Osaka

Tokyo Station - awaiting the next bullet train for Shin Osaka

I had been so busy that I hardly have any time left to blog nowadays. But today is one of those days with a tight passage for free time. I might as well settle my long overdue blog about my Kansai trip. Initially I wanted to watch a movie from the collection that I downloaded here or write about my trip to Aizu-Wakamatsu, but that is in the cold storage, frozen and perhaps I'll defrost it later.

Ok, my trip to Osaka. Let's just say the trip to Kansai. It could not have been any better. All thanks to my friend, Wai Cheong who, so happened, was available from his tight schedule and returned to Osaka for the long weekend. He was the tour guide for our Kansai tour. It was great having him around lest we wouldn't have covered so many places and known so many things , not to mention the good places for Osaka's favourites. It was the Marine Day holiday that fell on a Monday. I did my trip with fellow compatriot, Sarah. Both of us went on a shinkansen (bullet train) which only took 5 hours for a journey of 900km from Niigata-Tokyo-Osaka, inclusive of transits. It was damn fast. Of course, the price was 2.5 times higher than taking a bus or the local trains. It was a choice between time and money. We chose time. I am happy that it was the right decision in the end.

The N700 Series Shinkansen

I was all excited when I realised that I was going to sit on the new N700 shinkansen series from Tokyo to Osaka.
The high-speed train suddenly looked like a packed public bus
The other coach in the shinkansen

Because of the long break, everyone was rushing back. The train from Tokyo to Osaka was packed. Yes, even the shinkansen was packed. I could not imagine if I had to stand in the train for 3 hours before reaching Osaka. But after reaching one of the three stops in Nagoya, there were many people getting off, so it was free for all. I had my seat after an hour.

We arrived in Osaka at 9.15pm. Wai Cheong was caught in a terrible jam because of the same reason, balik kampung exodus. As soon as he arrived, we were on our way to his favourite Kyushu Ramen shop. This place is special because the ramen that they serve is pork bone base soup and the broth tastes better with chopped garlic. Quite a rare experience for ramen...

Osaka's night skyline

After dinner, he brought us to a "secret mountain" to watch the night skyline of Osaka. We were at the vantage point and the night scene was just breathtaking. It was then again that I was so glad that he was around to bring us to such places, or else we would have done what most tourist would do; go places recommended in the internet or travel guide book.

The giant crab on the background is said to be the icon of Osaka's Dotombori

Wai Cheong then gave us an option. Go home or continue a trip to downtown. It was already 11.30pm but we chose the latter. Our 5-hour train ride did not hinder us from traveling more. Still in good spirits. He brought us to the hip and happening place of Dotombori where Osaka comes alive at night. It was a photo opportunity too. We stopped over for Starbucks and sunk in with the night crowd and witnessed how some Japanese youth behave. The behind-the-scenes of the good ol' Japs in their real self. Sort of an eye-opening experience after having stayed in a smaller city, Niigata.

The night went pass very fast and before we realised, it was already 1.30am. We went back at 1.40am to call it a night and tried to get some sleep for Kobe the next day. However, it turned out that I was catching up stories with Wai Cheong until 4.30am and only managed to catch a 3 hour sleep.

Balik kampung exodus for the Kansai people

The next day, we woke up all ready for Kobe. The roads were choked up with the exodus rush home. We noticed a lot of cars returning to Kobe (from Osaka). There was a long queue and it reminded me so much about the PLUS Highways.

No comments: