Friday, August 31, 2007

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?

There's something peculiar about studying in Cambridge. I just can't find the right words to describe it. Something that strikes a chord. When I said "chord", I really meant the musical "chord".

As an organist, when I play a C-chord, the G,C and E keys are pressed together. So when I describe a C-chord, I don't just say that it's pressing a C, or a G or an E only, but all three of them. I see Cambridge as that. When I try to describe my experiences here, I just can't pinpoint an event that can reflect the entire experience of studying here. It's a range of things put together.

Tonight we had a BBQ at Brendan's and was probably the last time I could meet some of my coursemates before everyone goes off to do their own things and get on with life. The moment of truth came when I needed to leave. The farewell hugs suddenly threw me into a sense of sadness. It was as if I was in this bubble called Cambridge and then *pop!* it burst. O gosh, I just hate saying goodbyes. I remember doing that in Japan and it was horrible. Now it's like reliving the whole experience, Part 2!

But it was really nice keeping in touch with everyone. Tomorrow is the deadline for our dissertation and almost everyone in the class has already charted their next plans in life; jobs, travel or PhD. Talking to a few of them bring me into another world, a world that I could only imagine.

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
JG: I'll be back in the States to serve the Army. Yea, I'll be doing 5 months of school in the Army before I start.....**truncated** There's this 6 miles obstacle course that we have to do and it's really tough.

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
JM: I'll be working in London until end of this year before I work in the New York office in January.

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
OG: I'll be travelling abit. I'll start with India, maybe I'll drop by Malaysia before I head back to the UK and attend B's wedding in Argentina. Maybe I'll go to New York en route to Argentina.

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
VH: I'll be working for 2 weeks in **this consultancy firm** before I travel to South America for 3 months.

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
DR: I've got some offers. I'll either be based in Scotland or Reading. I think I'll choose Reading since ahemm, my friend is there!

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
KY: I'll be travelling to Europe next week for 3 weeks before I return to help a friend to settle down in Cambridge. Then I'll return to my country and come back to work in Nottingham in **that consultancy firm**.

Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
BB: I will do some independent consultancy roles on water projects.

Everyone's impressive career path only reminded me of the type of people I'm studying with - the best of the best! I am so very sure these people will make it great in life! So what's peculiar again? The fighting spirit, will to succeed, positive attitudes towards life and great confidence.

Of course, it was a two-way conversation. I was also asked the same question...
Knock! Knock! Can I come into your world?
So what would you do next?
Me: Whatever you will read after this....

No comments: